PPHS Attendance Policy
PPHS Attendance Office
Parents must call the attendance office if a student will be late to school or absent.
Please follow the procedures listed below. Policies are found in the Student Handbook.
- When a student is absent from school, parents are to call the Attendance Office as soon as possible. Please leave a voicemail if you do not get through to a person. For absences lasting longer than 2 days, students are to submit pertinent notes to the Attendance Secretary. These notes will be taken into consideration when making no credit decisions at the end of each marking period.
- Upon returning to school following an illness, students are to submit only medical documentation (if a doctor has been consulted). Undocumented absences will count toward the attendance limit.
- When a student becomes ill during the school day a parent or guardian must sign the student out after consulting with the school nurse. This may be accomplished in person or by fax with specific instructions as to how the student will be transported home.
- In extenuating circumstances (death in family, family business, court appearances, college visits etc.) an official note must be provided in order for the absence to be considered in course credit denial situations. Contact the Guidance Office for college visitation forms.
- All notes are to be submitted to the attendance office.
- For long-term illness or exemptions from physical education, please contact the school nurse. Physician’s notes excusing students from gym must have a diagnosis and a specific date of return. The physician can always extend dates if necessary. If the student is to use crutches or a wheelchair, the physician must include this in the gym excuse note.
- Unverified absences (no parental contact) will be recorded as truancies and will provoke a response pursuant to NJSA 18A: 38-27.